CNN and other news outlets are reporting that a 63-year-old man in Germany has died after contracting a rare infection when he was licked by his dog.

Doctors have warned pet owners to seek urgent medical advice if they exhibit unusual flu-like symptoms following the rare case, details of which have been published in a paper in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine.

The previously healthy man’s infection was caused by capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacterium that is commonly found in the mouths of dogs and cats, according to the report. It is transmitted to humans only in very rare cases. Much more commonly, the deadly bacteria can be transmitted through an animal bite, but the man had not been bitten by the dog – only licked.

“He had been touched and licked, but not bitten or injured, by his dog, his only pet, in previous weeks,” reads the paper, produced by doctors from the Red Cross Hospital in Bremen, Germany.

At first, the man reported flu-like symptoms and later developed severe sepsis and purpura fulminans, an acute disorder that causes blood spots, bruising and discoloration of the skin as well as necrosis.

The man was treated in intensive care but his health continued to deteriorate and he died from multiple organ failure, according to the authors.

“Pet owners with flu-like symptoms should urgently seek medical advice when symptoms are unusual,” wrote the doctors.

In May, an Ohio woman had her legs and hands amputated after contracting a rare infection from the same bacteria. Doctors say in her case, the infection probably occurred when her German shepherd puppy licked an open cut.

And last year surgeons amputated parts of a Wisconsin man’s nose and limbs, including both hands and feet, after the capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria got into his body.

The type of bacterium is “completely normal flora of a dog’s mouth and usually doesn’t cause any sort of significant disease. However, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong patient … it can lead to severe infections — but very, very rarely,” said Dr. Stephen Cole, a lecturer in veterinary microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.

What do you think of these stories? Will it make you think twice about kissing your pets, or letting them lick you? Please reply using the comments below.

4 thoughts on “Man Licked to Death By His Own Dog!”
  1. In my opinion, having researched and written about vaccines for about 40 years, this is a result of immune systems being damaged and destroyed by all the toxic crap that people have invented to spray in our environment, on our food, and, especially, inject directly into us.

  2. If the dog does not die from it then its the person he has a bad immune system, he was going to die anyway Don’t blame the dog Im69 and my dogs have licked hundreds of times

  3. I left a comment stating the same thing, except also included what is causing all this destruction to people’s immune systems. It was awaiting moderation, but never got printed. I wonder what happened.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.