In a sad story out of Mexico, a three-year-old girl woke up during her own funeral, but was later declared dead.
Camila Roxana Martinez Mendoza’s family has accused the Salinas de Hidalgo Basic Community Hospital of negligence after they reportedly declared the child dead too early.
The young girl was experiencing stomach pains, vomiting and fever when her mother, Mary Jane Mendoza, took her to see a doctor in Villa de Ramos, on August 17, according to Universal Newspaper.
That doctor said Mendoza should be taken to a hospital and be treated for dehydration.
The report said she was later released from the hospital and given a prescription, but continued to get worse that day. Another doctor reportedly told her mother to give her fruits and water, and prescribed something else.
When none of that worked, Mendoza was taken to an emergency room. That’s where her mother alleges the poor treatment took place.
“They wanted to give her (intravenous therapy). They took a long time to put oxygen on her,” her mother said, according to the Daily Mail. “They didn’t put it on her because they couldn’t find her little veins; finally, a nurse managed it.”
After about 10 minutes, the IV was removed from the little girl, who was then taken away to rest.
“She still was hugging me, they took her away and told me, ‘You have to let her rest in peace.’” the mother said, according to the Daily Mail.
She also alleges Mendoza was kept in a separate, locked room, before later being declared dead from dehydration.
At her funeral the next day, someone noticed the glass window of Mendoza’s coffin was fogged up.
A pulse was discovered and the child was taken back to hospital, but she could not be revived and was declared dead from brain swelling.
The case is being investigated by the San Luis Potosí State Attorney General Jose Luis Ruiz, who said that an autopsy is being done.