(PartiallyPolitics.com) – House Republicans are going to give access to the video footage from the security cameras in the Capitol from Jan. 6, 2021, to those who are facing charges relating to the Capitol attack.
The move which was announced on Tuesday is going to give defendants access to the surveillance tapes from the building, which are also going to be given to Fox News host Tucker Carlson. This decision has led to a number of legal and political questions, as well as to many people pointing out that it could potentially lead to security threats.
Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.), chair of the House Administration Subcommittee on Oversight charged with overseeing public requests for Jan. 6 videos and files, said that he would consider granting access to defendants who requested a specific file.
Loudermilk told the Hill that from what he knows so far, they don’t currently have access to the footage. He added that if they actually want to use the footage as part of the trial, they would first ensure that there was nothing sensitive in the clips requested before potentially granting them access to the footage. He noted that they quickly put together the protocols so that by next week they would be able to provide more information on where people can head in order to gain access to the Jan. 6 footage.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys have already had access to a large number of videos from the Jan. 6 attack, as well as to all materials in the Justice Department’s possession.
Copyright 2023, PartiallyPolitics.com